Home >
About Us  >  School Profile

School Profile


The School

The American School of Recife is a private, not-for-profit, co-educational day school founded in 1957. The school offers a Nursery through Grade 12 instructional program for students currently representing 19 nationalities. The two semesters comprising the school year extend from August to December and from January to June. The school is accredited by AdvancED-SACS in the United States and by the State of Pernambuco Ministry of Education and Recife Municipal Education Council in Brazil. The school is a member of the Association of American Schools in Brazil (AASB), the Association of American Schools in South America (AASSA) and the Association for the Advancement of International Education (AAIE). Class hours are 7:50 a.m.-3:15 p.m., and extra-curricular activities start at 3:30pm. The school has no religious affiliation.

Organization

The school is governed by a Board of Trustees comprised of 5 members elected by the General Assembly of parents of children enrolled in the school, two members appointed annually by elected members, and a member appointed by the U.S. Consul General of Recife. The school is registered as tax-exempt in Brazil and is not incorporated in the United States.

Curriculum

The school provides a U.S. standards-based, college preparatory curriculum which enables students to successfully enter universities in the U.S., Brazil, and throughout the world. Instruction is primarily in English, with mandatory Portuguese language study beginning in Pre-Kindergarten. Support is provided for language learning difficulties and mild learning disabilities. Electives include Spanish, French, computer science, art, drama, music, photography, journalism, Virtual High School on-line courses, and a variety of Advanced Placement courses. Extra-curricular activities may include soccer, volleyball, basketball, indoor soccer, capoeira, tennis, dance, drama, math club, chess club, eco club, robotics, peer tutoring, Knowledge Bowl and Model United Nations.

Faculty

The school employs 52 certified teachers, including 12 U.S. citizens, 37 host-country nationals, and 3 third-country nationals. 60% of the teaching faculty hold advanced degrees or post-graduate certificates.

Enrollment

At the start of the 2016-17 school year, 445 students are enrolled (300 in Nursery-Grade 5 and 145 in Grades 6-12). 82% of the student population is Brazilian, with the other 18% representing 18 nationalities. Of these, 26 are U.S. citizens (7 USG dependents), 55 are third-country nationals, and 364 are host-country nationals. The overall student/teacher ratio is 9:1.

Facilities

The School occupies 8.5 acres in a preferred residential area of Recife. The pre-school, elementary and secondary school divisions are in separate buildings. Facilities include 44 classrooms, science labs, music room, small theater, technology lab, two libraries, two dining areas, two faculty resource centers, maintenance building, infirmary, administrative offices, three playgrounds, three multi-sport covered courts, a soccer field and two sand volleyball courts.

Finances

99% of the school's income derives from tuition. Monthly tuition rates for the 2016-17 school year are as follows: Nursery, ECC3, PK: R$3,060; K: R$3,252; grades 1-5: R$3,883; and grades 6-12: R$4,131. A one-time Development Fund contribution of R$9,980 per student is payable upon enrollment. The registration fee is R$782, and the re-registration fee for returning students is R$435 (all fees quoted in Brazilian Reais).

American School of Recife (Since 1957)
CNPJ: 10.833.408/0001-06
Rua Sá e Souza, 408, Boa Viagem,
Recife/PE - Brazil 51.030-065
+55 81 3341-4716 info@ear.com.br

powered by finalsite