It is my pleasure to welcome you to 2017-18 academic year. We are committed to the academic growth of every student at the American School of Recife through a comprehensive, engaging, caring and safe educational program.
It is the goal in the Elementary division to educate the “whole” child. Using a variety of instructional resources and the assessments of Fountas & Pinnell (Quarterly), WIDA (Annually) and MAP (bi-annually). The Elementary division uses the framework of the AERO standards as the foundation for all learning. Every effort is made to develop higher-level thinking skills of analysis, synthesis and evaluation in our Atlas Rubicon Curricular Maps. All instruction takes place in our English language setting to maximize the learning of each EAR ‘eagle’.
School hours are from 7h45-15h15 Nursery-Grade5.
Elementary Division, Grades 1-5
- English instruction (Listening and Speaking, Writing and Reading Readiness)(Resources: Learning A-Z, Writing A-Z, Kidz-A-Z, MyON, Capstone, and Journeys, Houghton Mifflin)
- Mathematics (Text: Scott Foresman)
- Science (Text: Harcourt Brace)
- Social Studies (Text: Houghton Mifflin)
- Physical Education
- Computer Lab
- Portuguese Language class (PSOL for non-native Portuguese speakers)
- Brazilian Social Studies and Geography (taught in Portuguese).